Friday, June 3, 2011

Preparing for Baptism

We missed one of grandchild’s (Parker's) baptism. I think it's the only one we have ever missed. Before we left we got to see our little Regan baptized and we were so grateful that it worked out. We will miss others before we come home. Emma's will be next. That's one of the hard things about being gone. But then our amazing kids just seem to take it all in stride, what choice do they have, right??  One of our traditions that I started with our children was to always make a baptism cake. They were big enough to feed our whole family and was just something I enjoyed doing for them. As the day for Parker to be baptized approached I was lamenting the fact that I didn't get to make a cake for Parker. Then I got this picture e-mailed to me!

Parker got his cake thanks to his Aunt Summer.  It meant so much to me to know that he had been taken care of and that our tradition would continue. I may never make another cake again! 



Regan and his baptism cake. They are always so excited to have their turn to be baptized and have the day be a special one, just for them!


We have been instructed to wear two hats as humanitarian missionaries. One hat, of course is to do Humanitarian work. The other is to find and teach the elect ones of God who are searching for truth.

We are going to have our little Tadic family baptized on Sunday. Our hearts are full as we approach this day.

As much as we have loved the humanitarian work that we have been able to do here in Bosnia and Croatia, seeing this precious family accept the gospel and choose to enter the waters of baptism is just ...well, nothing short of amazing. They have worked hard, studied hard, been faithful at attending church, having family prayers, reading together as a family and are ready to make a life changing commitment. They will be the first ever family to be baptized in Bosnia. They are a seed family for the church here in Bosnia. Six children, who we hope will marry, have jobs and help spread the gospel. Until missionaries are allowed in this country, they are the bright and shinning hope. It will be an uphill struggle for them, but one with many blessings as well.
I had occasion to visit with our little friend of mine in Croatia the other day about her baptism and the impact it has made on her life. She put it this way: "I heard a missionary one day say that he had baptized an eighty year old man, he commented on how great that was, that the guy got to live his whole life doing what he wanted to do, no rules, no boundaries and then he was baptized and it was all washed away and he was clean. She continued, I wanted to go up to him and scream! You have no idea what it is to NOT have the gospel in your life. It's MISSERY, it’s darkness and like you're walking around doing nothing, with no purpose. It's not in the least fun or wonderful. Being baptized was the most important and best thing that ever happened to me. I no longer feel lost and alone.”
I know that our little family will look back on their baptism day with similar feelings. Jim and I are so grateful to have had the opportunity to get to know them, to be able to see them each Sunday and hold church for them. To be a little part of their world has been an amazing expierence.We love them dearly and hope that their Baptism Day will be one they will always cherish. Our daughter sent us this definition of what a missionary is:

"Missionary....one who leaves their family for two years, so others may have their families for eternity."

So we might be missing our own grandchildren's baptism days, as hard as that is, but this Sunday our buckets will be full and we are so blessed to be here and be a part of this wonderful occasion.

One of my favorite sections in the D&C is Section 31. It’s a revelation where the Lord is talking to Thomas B. Marsh.

It starts like this in my mind..." Debby, my daughter, blessed are you because of your faith in my work....lift up your heart and rejoice, for the hour of your mission has come and your tongue shall be loosed, and you shall declare glad tidings of great joy unto this generation." I love the whole section and read it often to remind me of our "other hat". 

Last Sunday we brought baptism clothes down from Zagreb and Varasdin for the Tadic family to try on. Here are a few pictures of the fun that we had.

Mica Tadic ( the mother)

Vedran (the only boy in the family)
Vanja ( she's just finished 9th grade)
Vanja again and Vedrana (she is ten) and me trying to keep everything straight!
Violetta and her father ,she just graduated from high school and has patiently waited for almost two and a half  years now to be baptized.  She wanted to wait until her family was ready. It will be an especially great day for her!
Vedrana - is she happy or what???

One of the Tadic girls, Victoria,  was visiting her grandma in another villiage and wasn't at church so we will be sure to get good pictures of them all at the baptism .
 Oh I almost forgot, my friend Kristie Humble does a wonderful blog for her stake in Kanesville, Utah. I put a link to it on the right side of my blog. Check it out. You won't be sorry, she does a great job with it!!

2 comments:

Kristi said...

I'm so excited for you (always). I love reading your mission experiences. They make me want to be a better person.

Robin said...

Ditto what Kristi said. Also, in a little over a year from now when it's time for you to go home - it'll be such a bitter sweet time. As excited as you will be to get home to family you will feel so sad to say good-bye to all those people you have been falling in love with. I was only in Poland for a month and it was difficult to say good-bye.
Great post and great pictures.
Love ya
robin